Monday, March 7, 2011

[18] ING-sane Entry

While working on my health goal on Lululemon's goaltender, in the 5 Year Health Goal, I indicated that I would run the NYC Marathon by November 2015. I haven't got the slightest idea what possessed me to write that, but it just came out. Last year, I never thought I would even dream about running a half-marathon, but as of last week, I logged my second one with a time better than I originally expected.

Before you get all huffy, I know. Although I've run the equivalent of a full marathon by completing two halves, it is not the same as running a full marathon in one go. The New York Road Runners have paired up with ING New York City Marathon to provide an incentive program to run and volunteer for races. Their 9+1 Program is quite appealing. Run nine NYRR races and volunteer for one within a calendar race year, and one is guaranteed entry in the 2012 NYC Marathon.

After registering for the Japan Run in May over the weekend, I starting going over the 2011 race calendar. In a perfect world, where I can find people willing to trade weekend shifts with me, I would like to register and run the following races to meet my 9 race requirement:
  1. 05/08: Japan Run (@9AM; 4Mi; Central Park) *Registered 3/5
  2. 06/25: Front Runner's Pride Run (@9AM; 5 Mi; Central Park)
  3. 06/26: Achilles Hope Possibility (@8:30AM; 5Mi; Central Park)
  4. 07/16: Central Park Conservatory (@9AM; 4Mi; Central Park)
  5. 08/27: Harlem 5K (@8:30AM; 5K; St. Nicholas Park, Harlem)
  6. 09/17: Fitness Magazine (@9AM; 4Mi; Central Park) or 09.24: Fifth Ave Museum Mile (Various)
  7. 10/30: Poland Springs Marathon Kick Off (@8:30AM; 5Mi; Van Cortlandt Park)
  8. 11/20: Race to Deliver (@8:30AM; 4Mi; Central Park)
  9. 12/10: NYRR Jingle Bell Jog (@9AM; 4Mi; Prospect Park, Brooklyn)
  10. 12/31: Emerald Nuts Midnight Run (@12AM; 4Mi; Central Park)
I would love to sign up for the Queens Half or the Bronx Half, but I am not too sure about my endurance during the summer time for such a long distance. Queens falls right smack in the middle of Summer Program, so I am 99.9% sure it is out of the question, but there is a possibility for the Bronx Half. I have to be back at work by 4PM on 8/28 anyway, so I think I may be able to squeeze this one in. I would prefer avoiding the Midnight Run in Central Park unless I can find someone to run it with me, but most of my friends in the area go home for the holidays, so it might be a tad lonely. Plus, I need to volunteer for one of these races as well.

I guess it will really boil down to how well I can manage my time. I may have to make some sacrifices if I am serious about getting into the 2012 NYC Marathon. Also, I am planning on registering for the Disney Wine & Dine Half on October 1, 2011, so I am going to have to be rather crafty with my schedule changes. Looks like I am going to have to work on my negotiation skills. ;) It seems I have found a creative outlet for dealing with my rejection from grad school and my failure of the JLPT. It will be a ton of work, but it will be a very healthy lifestyle in 2011!

3 comments:

  1. "07/16: Central Park Conservatory (@9AM; 4Mi; Central Park)" - That's my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be less than a week before Summer Program arrives, so I am certain that I will be craving sunshine and demanding to iron out all the kinks from being a desk jockey by this point. Plus, any money to help keep CP beautiful and green is always good. The run is just an extra bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh... Disney Wine & Dine Half. (*_*) I <3 the Food & Wine Festival at EPCOT.

    ReplyDelete