Sunday, December 26, 2010

[11] Last 5K of 2010

Up at 5AM, on the road by 5:30AM, and in the park by 6AM. Usually with traffic, the drive from our parents' house to the beach can take between 45 minutes to an hour. I was worried because I woke early to the sounds of rain and the weather forecast promised light morning showers. Luckily, the clouds parted as the sun rose, and we were only stuck with some sprinkling here and there during the race. It was fun to chat with Susie and laugh at all the crazy hats we saw. The thing about Fort Lauderdale that impressed me was the number of athletic seniors participating in the race, not just as event staff. If I am a fraction as active as these folks when I am a silver fox, I will be very content with my life. It was truly inspirational.

Two very, VERY orange shirts.

The Race: The Greater Fort Lauderdale Road Runners' Resolution 5K
The Distance: 5K (3.11 Miles)
The Course: 1.75 Laps of Hugh Taylor Birch State Park
The Bib#: 797 (Me) & 1641 (Susie)


The Time: 39'44"
The Running Buddy: My beautiful sister, Susie
The Highlight: When we came around the bend and saw the Finish Line, the clock was at 39 minutes and change. Susie said, "Let's finish this before it gets to forty." So we sprinted the last bit, crossing the line together. I can't wait until the GFL Road Runners' post photos from the event because they definitely snapped one of us charging and crossing the finish line together. We ran it out and it felt great to share this with my sister. In the car on the way home, we talked about making it an annual thing. This makes me so happy.

I resolve to run more with those I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment