Friday, May 6, 2011

[37] My Plus One

No. Not that "Plus One". I speak of the "+1" portion of the 9+1 Guaranteed Entry for the 2012 NYC Marathon. My scrambling to get time off for the American Heart Association's Start! Wall Street Run was in vain as the race closed minutes before I could sign up.

Or so I thought.

While poking around the NYRR's volunteering site, I noticed that a volunteer opportunity was available for the AHA Start! Run. This lead to an apostrophe... I mean epiphany.

As most of the volunteer opportunties for NYRR clash with my work schedule, I figured I would have to wait until summer time to knock out the volunteering requirement. Since I already had the night of May 17th free anways, I set a positive spin on what started out as a frustrating situation. Instead of registering as a walker and running purely for the just self-satisfaction (and receiving no-NYRR credit for guaranteed entry), I might as well be a girl scout and do a little do-gooding for my fellow runners. I signed up to be a Start/Finish Marshal, both of which are essential functions of the race's behind-the-scenes magic.

[Start Marshal] (from NYRR Volunteering Packet)

  1. Assist with the smooth and successful start of the race.
  2. Manage corral entrances (if there are corrals)and check runner bibs; ensure that runners enter corral corresponding to their bib color and that they enter the corrals at least 10 minutes before the race when corrals close. Runners who come after this point must go to the last corral regardless of bib color.
  3. Keep the emergency lane clear for emergency vehicles, cyclists and other park patrons. Alert pedestrians and runners entering the race site to approaching bicycles and vehicles. Be vocal and upbeat in directing runners to the start and off the roadway!
  4. Assist in cleaning area and breakdown as needed.
  5. Calling in medical emergencies. Take note of your location so that you can give an exact location IF you need to make a medical call.
[Finish Marshal] (from NYRR Volunteering Packet)
  1. Responsible for keeping spectators off of the race course and out of the emergency lane pre-finish.
  2. Responsible for keeping the post-finish area clear by keeping the runners moving once they cross the finish line.
  3. Direct runners to medical, food, post-finish fluids, and baggage areas as necessary.
  4. Cheer on runners as they finish!
  5. Alert pedestrians and runners exiting the race site to approaching bicycles and vehicles.
  6. Assist in cleaning area and breakdown as needed.
  7. Calling in medical emergencies. Take note of your location so that you can give an exact location IF you need to make a medical call.
If my schedule permits, I would like to do more volunteering for NYRR (maybe for all those races I can't get into). The challenge is living in Westchester county. When possible, I want to run if I make the trek into NYC (at least until I get my 9+1 completed). I definitely want to volunteer for the 2011 ING NYC Marathon, even if it means a stupidly early morning and hours of standing around. I find it interesting that volunteering for the NYC Marathon doesn't count toward the volunteering requirement. Maybe it is because the event is so large and requires so many volunteers that it would make it too easy for everyone to get in through the 9+1 Option. Also, volunteering for the smaller races might be a sign of dedication for those who want in (or want to support their friends who are running).

I am kicking around signing up to volunteer at the Brooklyn Half, too. I just need to find a place to crash (or at least stash my car) near the event site. Watching the sunrise at Coney Island sounds like fun, but I need to be able to get there and back via personal transportation. I've never been to CI, and it would give me a sample of what is to come, should I get into it next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment